Chicken stew is an excellent combo curry with Appam. This combination is very important in Christian cuisine. It goes well with idiyappam, chappaty, Roti, etc. Cooked with vegetables like carrot, beans, potato, green peas and chicken, it is a very healthy dish.
1. Chicken 200gm
2. Carrot 1 small
3. Potato 1 small
4. Beans 3 or 4 sliced to small pieces
5. Curry leaves 1 strand
6. Green Chillies slit lengthwise
7. Cardamom 2
8. Cinnamon 1 small piece
9. Pepper corns few
10. Cloves 2
11. Garlic 2 pods
12. Ginger 1'' piece
13. Coriander leaves 2 or 3 strands
14. Turmeric powder(optional) a pinch (do not use if you like your stew white)
15. Oil, Salt
16. Onion 1 medium sized sliced a bit coarsely(not too fine)
17. Thin coconut milk 1.5 cup
18. Thick coconut milk 1 cup
19. Garam masala 1 pinch(optional)
1. Heat oil in a pan.
2. When hot, add curry leaves and saute.
3. Add the masalas, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, pepper corns, and saute.
4. Add garlic, ginger, green chillies, one by one, sauting in between.
5. Add onion and saute well for about 4 mins.
6. Add turmeric if you are using.
7. Add the chicken pieces. Make them small. You can use boneless or with bone. Its your preference.
8. Saute well for 7 to 8 mins.
9. Simmer and add thin coconut milk and let it get cooked for 8 mins (or until it gets cooked.. Try eating a piece)
10. If you feel a lack in flavour, you can add a pinch of Garam Masala.
11. Add sliced potatoes.and carrot.
12. Let it get cooked in lowest flame.
13. When everything is cooked, add the thick coconut milk.
14. Garnish with coriander leaves.
Enjoy your yummy and healthy chicken stew.