This was the first time I ever tried a paneer dish. It was great ! I wanted to make a simple dish when I came across this recipe original recipe @ cooking and me . It really goes well with rotis or rice.
Paneer cubes 250 gm/ 1 cup
3 onions, sliced thin
1.5 tsp of ginger-garlic paste
2 green chillies, slit lengthwise
1 1/4 tsp of whole black pepper, crushed
1/2 tsp of garam masala
1/4 tsp of fennel (perum jeerakam) powder
1/4 tsp of turmeric powder
1 tsp of soya sauce
2 tsp of tomato ketchup or sauce (I dint use both the sauces as they werent available, but still the Masala was tasty)
A few curry leaves
1 tbsp of oil
Salt to taste
Coriander leaves for garnish, chopped
How to Make Paneer Pepper Masala:
1. Soak frozen paneer cubes in lukewarm water for 30 minutes. Cut into smaller cubes / halves.
2. In a pan, heat the oil and add sliced onions. Fry till golden brown. Add green chilli and sauté for a minute.
3. Add the ginger-garlic paste. Let it cook till the raw smell leaves the paste (about 2-3 mins).
4. Add turmeric powder, garam masala, fennel powder, and crushed pepper. Saute for 1-2 mins.
5. Add soya sauce and tomato ketchup. Mix well.
6. Add 1/4 cup water and salt and mix well.
7. Add paneer cubes and mix well till the masala coats the paneer. Bring to boil.
8. Add curry leaves, cover the pan and cook on low flame for about 5 minutes. You should cook till the masala turns darker ( a deep dark brown/black) and dry with the masala coating the paneer pieces
9. Add some finely chopped coriander leaves and mix well.
Serve hot with rice or rotis.