This recipe is a regular at my house as my family loves it a lot.
It had been waiting in my drafting list for long. Finally it gets its place. I had been holding it since I was not happy with the picture. Hoping to replace with a good one , when I make it next time.
Chicken 1 Kg
Garlic chopped 3 tbsp
Ginger chopped 2 tbsp
Green chillies 8 slitted lengthwise /chopped
Coconut 3/4 cup
Coriander powder 2tbsp
red chilly powder 1.5 tbsp
Hot chilly powder 1.5 tbsp
Garam masala powder(freshly ground) 2tsp
Curry leaves 2-3 springs
1.Wash the chicken well with vinegar, salt & turmeric powder and keep aside.
2. Dry roast the coconut until dark brown colour. Stir continuously when you do this and make sure coconut is not burnt.
3. Add the powders to this and stir well until they are mixed and set it to cool.
4. Saute onions & shallots in a pan with required oil, until they are golden brown in colour.
5. Now add in Ginger, garlic & green chillies. Saute well until all are blended well.
6. Throw in the curry leaves.
7. Grind the cooled dry roast coconut masala mixture first without water , and then add some water so that they form fine paste.
8. Add this to the pan and blend them well.
9. Check for the salt & consistency.
10. Add the chicken pieces & add some more water if you like more gravy.
11. Serve hot with rice, chappatty, Appam, bread, etc.
If you are using pressure cooker, give one whistle for the chicken to cook. Chicken gets cooked fast so be careful not to give more.